Monday 7 June 2010

Ikea dress

Ikea has a very nice selection of fabrics. Unfortunately most of them are upholstery or curtain fabrics, but from the curtain fabrics you can find 100% cotton fabrics that would make awesome clothes. I decided to make a dress. Since the fabric was very cheap, I thought it did not really matter if the end result was not going to be so nice, or wearable, but at least I could test a dress pattern. 

I chose a dress pattern from an 80's Burda magazine and since this was an experiment, my choice was a bias-cut dress without a zipper (I did not have a zipper and I wanted to finish the dress fast). I did not cut the dress pieces on bias, but opted to try whether it would work with a normal cut. It kind of did, but I had to add a few darts and folds to make it really fit and it is still a bit too big on the backside. However, I was planning to use it together with an obi belt, so the fit does not have to be perfect. The lining is made from white bedsheet that I sacrificed (we are running out of those soon...).

Anyway, here is the dress. Nevermind the smirk on my face, I was just giving my husband some instructions on how to take a photo of the dress, not me :)  - and he is standing on the couch, since I thought it would make me look slimmer but it kind of looks weird!


The fabric is Ikea's Cecilia, 2.95 euros per meter, so it really is cheap! It comes in the following prints and I can see myself using them all (pictures from Ikea) ... Maybe a skirt? Or a tunic dress?

4 comments:

Yanyan said...

I am fan of Ikea fabric as well. I bought the same fabric in green and made a few little dresses for my friends' daughters. You look fabulous!

Tuia said...

Thanks, Yanyan. I am going to make a skirt for myself from the grey fabric and was also thinking about the green one. Colour-wise that is actually my favourite. Maybe I could make a dress for Emma...

curtain fabrics said...

Those are beautiful fabrics, the patterns are lovely.It is perfect to be made as dress. You look so gorgeous by the way.

Tuia said...

Oh, thank you for the compliment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...